Net Car Stop

Welcome to the Net Car Stop forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Net Car Stop > Main Category > The Motorcycle Forum

Old 11-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Banned

The Tourist is on a distinguished road
May I please use my own Harley, Lord Vader?

As a biker, I was not too enthused about the Presidential election last night. Oh, not because of the usual political banter, but because of what our nation's swing might be in an openly 'nanny' state of opinion. Let me give you an example.

Wisconsin has a weird idea about personal freedoms.

For example, you cannot carry a concealed firearm here under any circumstances. There is no CCW provision.

To the contrary, Wisconsin once had a helmet law, it was repealed.

As I write this, Wisconsin now has a liberal leftist governor, Jim Doyle. On two seperate occasions CCW provision bills have come before him. And on both occasions he vetoed them. On his decision, and his alone, he opined that people in Wisconsin "did not need" personal protection. After all, we have the police and 911 phone service.

However, this nanny condition was held in check by the circumstance that our President was a Republican and half of the states were 'red.'

While BHO did not win by a double-digit populace vote, I'm sure the spin will christen it a 'mandate.' And hence my concern.

There has always been a soft undercurrent in Wisconsin that adults "need" helmets. I have even heard the old bugaboo that insurance rates will hurt the average citizen as we bikers crash and soak up benefits. On many occasions I have asked these pundits if they will please publish the address of the "brain dead biker hospital ward" so I document their claims.

I believe that the period of liberal restraint is over. It is now "good" to limit personal action. After all, it is the greed of business that put us here (while there is never any discussion of the ever increasing entitlement programs).

When I proffer that I will pay my own bike insurance, protect my own home, speak without political correctness or start my own business I am derided as a "cowboy" whose time has waned.

The Framers of our Republic wrote checks and balances to protect us from obvious aggression and harm. They never considered that freedoms might be altered by slow, creeping malaise and duress. I don't even own a helmet, but I have do believe a whiny liberal who can't even control a scooter will soon demand I purchase one to ride my own bike. And he will seek to quash my dissent by declaring my verbiage to be a "hate crime."
Old 11-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Forum King / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Wisconsin has a weird idea about personal freedoms.

For example, you cannot carry a concealed firearm here under any circumstances. There is no CCW provision.

To the contrary, Wisconsin once had a helmet law, it was repealed.
I agree the helmet law should have been repealed, and stay off the books. Good luck with that.

I'm shocked that there is no concealed carry permit of some kind. How about open carry. I'm just learning that in many states it is legal to carry openly, no license or permit of any kind needed. I've also read of cases where even the law enforcement in states where you can open carry (PA) were not aware of the law and harassed people who were openly carrying a weapon. And lawsuits have been brought against them over this issue.

I 'thought' concealed carry permits were a nationwide thing. Could someone from Ohio with a concealed carry permit be allowed to concealed carry in Wisconsin?
To my way of thinking concealed carry is better for everyone than open carry. Some PC folks get all panicky if they see a non law enforcement person carrying in the open. If it is concealed most often they'll never know the person next to them is carrying.
The overboard PC stuff drives me bonkers.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Banned

Officially, you can carry in the open. The reality is that if you try it in a population center you will be arrested for disorderly conduct.

And Wisconsin has no "reciprocity" aggreement with any state. Your Ohio license means nothing here.

My guess is that it will soon mean nothing there, either.

BHO has stated that he's against state sanctioned CCW provisions and would annul them.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Forum King / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post

BHO has stated that he's against state sanctioned CCW provisions and would annul them.
WOW, that is big news. I had not heard that. Jumping into the states business will be tricky territory for him. I hope that effort dies a quick death.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Banned

Concealed carry OK for retired police officers
Obama voted for a bill in the Illinois senate that allowed retired law enforcement officers to carry concealed weapons. If there was any issue on which Obama rarely deviated, it was gun control. He was the most strident candidate when it came to enforcin and expanding gun control laws. So this vote jumped out as inconsistent.
When I queried him about the vote, he said, "I didn't find that [vote] surprising. I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry. This was a narrow exception in an exceptional circumstance where a retired police officer might find himself vulnerable as a consequence of the work he has previously done--and had been trained extensively in the proper use of firearms."

It wasn't until a few weeks later that another theory came forward about the uncharacteristic vote. Obama was battling with his GOP opponent to win the endorsement of the Fraternal Order of Police.

Source: From Promise to Power, by David Mendell, p.250-251 Aug 14, 2007

Additional link:

http://www.ontheissues.org/Gun_Control.htm

Last edited by The Tourist; 11-06-2008 at 11:30 AM.