Net Car Stop

Welcome to the Net Car Stop forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Net Car Stop > Main Category > States and Cities Forums > Kansas Forum

Old 01-29-2011, 07:51 AM

Cowboy is on a distinguished road
Happy birthday Kansas

Well I'm allways looking for a reason to celebrate .

Happy 150th birthday
0 Comments
Kansas celebrates its sesquicentennial today with an austerity necessitated by the times but also in keeping with its character.

In a way, that’s too bad. “The lovely state of Kansas, the Lily of the West,” as an old folk song put it, could really use a great party about now.

There is that big basketball game up the turnpike tonight, the Wichita Art Museum’s multiple exhibits celebrating Kansas artists, the “150 Things I Love About Kansas” exhibit at the Kansas Museum of History in Topeka, and the U.S. Postal Service’s handsome commemorative stamp. It’s certainly fitting that the Kansas Republican Party, which has so dominated the state’s political life and governance, will celebrate both its recent clean sweep of offices and the sesquicentennial at its annual Kansas Day gathering in Topeka.

And The Eagle is treating the 150th anniversary as the big news it is, including with today’s 16-page special section highlighting Kansas through the decades and a special anniversary section online at Kansas.com. The newspaper kicked off its extensive coverage with January articles on how the state was settled and how a historic Smith County cabin inspired “Home on the Range,” and will spend the year exploring the events, people, places, traditions, industries and curiosities that have defined Kansas. Eagle calendars also are tracking sesquicentennial events around the state.

Plus, The Eagle and Wichita State University plan a joint symposium in December focusing on the future of Kansas for the next 150 years.

But statewide it looks as if the birthday and the anniversary mostly will be observed with quiet pride, as the spirit moves and funds allow.

There is so much to inspire pride about this state, whose very birth was a hard-fought triumph of freedom.

The 34th state provided the nation its 34th president, Dwight Eisenhower. It was on the leading edge of women’s suffrage. It pointed the way on civil rights in the Brown v. the Topeka Board of Education case. It has been unparalleled in growing wheat and building aircraft. Hard work, deep faith, free enterprise, fiery ideas — all are welcome here.

And though the ripples of the Great Recession continue to be felt deeply in homes, workplaces and the Statehouse, the natural resilience and resourcefulness of Kansans are certain to prevail.

Just as the Wichita Sunday Eagle and the Wichita Beacon editorialized on this day in 1961, to mark the state’s 100th anniversary, Kansas is “reaching for the stars more purposefully than ever before, proud of the dramatic sweep of our history and resolute in our acceptance of current challenges.”

There is every reason to think that Kansas’ 200th anniversary will find the state thriving, as well as more willing and able to indulge in a proper celebration.

In the meantime: Happy 150th birthday, Kansas. You’ve never looked better.

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/2011/01/29/169...#ixzz1CR4gtXL2

http://ks150.kansas.gov/Pages/default.aspx
Kansas 150 Commemoration
I love Kansas! There truly is no place like home. This is our 150th anniversary, an appropriate time to reflect on our past and look toward our future.

The first generation of Kansans pledged their lives and destinies to forge a Kansas of freedom in the midst of the blood and fire of war. Generations of men and women had the courage to build a Kansas of humanity and hope.

Please join me during this sesquicentennial year to discover our great history and take part in the many activities around the state!

Find resources for your community, promote your events, and discover other activities on the calendar and news pages.

Bake a Cake for Kansas Day

We encourage you to bake and share a cake with your community and post pictures on the Kansas 150 Facebook and Flickr pages.

Kansas Day at the Museum

Join us Friday night, January 28, for a free showing of The Wizard of Oz at the museum and bring your cameras! You'll meet the Oz characters in person.

Join us on Kansas Day, Saturday, January 29, for a day of activities at the museum.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:10 PM

muleman is on a distinguished road
Style: SilverGrey
Re: Happy birthday Kansas

You may join us today as we celebrate the count the raindrops day! Just saw temps for Kansas and they showed 109-115! Too dang hot for me! We are at 85 already and I am done for today unless it cools a lot this evening. Supposed to get rain tomorrow but lately it comes in little bits and the hot breeze dries it right out.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:39 PM

Cowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleman View Post
You may join us today as we celebrate the count the raindrops day! Just saw temps for Kansas and they showed 109-115! Too dang hot for me! We are at 85 already and I am done for today unless it cools a lot this evening. Supposed to get rain tomorrow but lately it comes in little bits and the hot breeze dries it right out.
Here its more like count the days there aint been no raindrops, damn near 2 months since we had anything .

But happy Friggen count the damn raindrops day anyway.

Its 112 right now (5;38 PM) and I just got back in from finishing weedeating and mowing for another few days . Still plenty hot but we are mostly in shade this time of day, so it aint to bad.

Hope you get some rain soon without getting a monsoon . Seems thats the way it goes these days . Its all or none .
Old 08-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Forum King / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road

Happy Birthday Kansas!!!! 112 degrees. OMG. that's hot!!!!!!

Scott me up Beamy

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Cooking Talk +++ Net Tractor Talk +++ Net Boat Talk +++ Net Music Talk