Net Car Stop

Welcome to the Net Car Stop forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Net Car Stop > Main Category > States and Cities Forums > California Forum > Los Angeles California Forum

Old 03-26-2011, 02:01 PM

Leni is on a distinguished road
Weather

We've had more rain here in this month than we've ever had before as far as memory serves. February is normally our rainest month with very little if any in March. Finally we are supposed to have a dry week with warm temperatures. Sure hope so. I've got a lot of tomatoes to plant not to mention a lot of other veggies.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned

JackieBlue is on a distinguished road
Re: Weather

Still in the 30's here. But that's typical March weather for this part of the northeast. Out planting of tomatoes won't be for a month and a half or so. Won't see them until July. But they are sure worth the wait.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:55 PM

Yes they are! Just to show you how crazy we are, I've planted 14 so far and have another 30 or so to plant once things dry out a bit.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leni View Post
Yes they are! Just to show you how crazy we are, I've planted 14 so far and have another 30 or so to plant once things dry out a bit.
Wow! That's a lot of tomatoes. But they never really go to waste. If you have too many, there is always someone that wants a few.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:06 PM

Not only that but there are losses to varmits including the two legged kind. I'm in a community garden that is part of a public park. I also freeze and make sauces. I need to get a shelf in the garage for what I can.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:57 PM

Beautiful day today if you like wind. Clear and sunny around 84 degrees with winds up to 50 mph. Damn! You can't even fly a kite in that.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leni View Post
Beautiful day today if you like wind. Clear and sunny around 84 degrees with winds up to 50 mph. Damn! You can't even fly a kite in that.
We're supposed to get snow this weekend!
Old 04-30-2011, 07:10 PM

It's another beautiful but windy day. Temp is in the 80's with winds gusting to 30+ MPH. Not good for my allergies.

Things seem to be coming to a head regarding my vegetable garden. The city really wants us to take over the operation of the community garden. The have recinded the $120 yearly fee and are going to charge $60. They also have eliminated the cap of three gardens a household. Those of us who already have more can keep them. The also got rid of the idea that a gardener could have their plots for only three years. I don't know which idiot came up with that one but no one is going to put their heart and soul plus money into a plot only to give it up three years later.

Recreation and Parks will vote on this May 4th.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:42 AM

muleman is on a distinguished road
Style: SilverGrey

I can't imagine having the city make my choices for garden plots. Mine is determined by my fence to keep the critters out. Put it up last year so they did not eat plants before we got the harvest.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:13 PM

The city really wants us to take over the community garden. Other gardens have incorporated as a nonprofit and it looks like that's what we'll have to do. Parks and Rec dropped the three year limit and those of us who have more than three gardens are grandfathered in. They still voted for the $120 a year per plot fee. This year they are only going to charge $60 because everything has been so confused. How nice of them.

I've done a fair amount of planting here at home but there's only so much room in a city lot. I really need at least a few plots at the garden to grow what I want to.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:53 PM

Well it's now December and the Santa Annas are blowing. Stuff's flying all over the place. Thank God no fires so far.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:00 PM

We got through the fire season with hardly any fires. No monsters either.

Today it is raining and very windy. Our rainy season usually ends in February so it's unusual to have rin this late in the year, especially a good solid one like this one.

I've got my bunny rabbit fence up thanks to my son. The weeds are mostly gone so I'll have hubby rototill the garden once the soil is dry enough.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:24 PM

Well my garden is bare to the fence and totally tilled. Had to move the peas and tomato fence this year. Gathered up some old 4X4 posts in the barn to build a raised bed with a hoop house over it for strawberries. Will plant peas and onions tomorrow. We are having a run of warm beautiful weather right now. It is so tempting to get carried away and plant stuff too early. We worked on some of the flower beds today also. Going to transplant an apple tree in the morning and then mulch flowers. Everything is jumping up with the heat and buds are forming on some trees already.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:40 PM

Just hope you don't have a freeze. That will do in those buds.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:18 AM

That is my big worry also. Get things going along and a quick frost rolls in and the mad scramble for buckets and sheets starts. We have done that twice in the last 5 years. Once was late in May. Flowers are sure popping out everywhere. Can't keep up with flower bed cleanup and so many other things going on. Waiting on another truck load of logs to cut for next year also.