Net Car Stop

Welcome to the Net Car Stop forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Net Car Stop > Main Category > States and Cities Forums > North Dakota Forum

Old 05-26-2011, 01:32 PM

Trakternutz is on a distinguished road
REDDOG and the Mighty Missouri River.

The Army Corps of Engineers plans to raise releases from Garrison Dam to 105,000 cubic feet per second, it announced Thursday, pushing the river above its 100-year flood level and leaving local leaders and engineers scrambling to determine how high the water will be.

The corps will move to the new release levels in June, and could go to 120,000 cfs after that, said Todd Lindquist, operations manager at Garrison Dam.

Local officials had been preparing for an 18-foot flood stage on the river, but the new release schedule means no one could say Thursday morning what the new stage will be.
.................................................. .................................................. ......

Flood fight coordinators are basing efforts to contain the swollen Missouri River on a 100-year flood while the Army Corps of Engineers will not rule out larger releases from Garrison Dam.

“On the question of ‘Will it go higher?’ I can’t tell you no. I would like to tell you no, but I can’t,” said Todd Lindquist, operations manager for the corps on Lake Sakakawea.

The river is rising fast as the corps pushes dam releases well above their historic high. Todd Sando, the state Water Commission engineer, said at a briefing Wednesday morning that efforts should focus on a river height of 18 feet, measured at the Bismarck Expressway bridge.

“And it could go possibly higher than that,” Sando said. “I think we need to plan for a 1-percent event.”

A 100-year flood refers to an event with a likelihood of occurring only once a century, or a 1 percent chance of happening in a given year.

In Bismarck-Mandan, a flood of that size would reach 18 feet, created by the river flowing at a rate of 94,000 cubic feet per second. The Army Corps of Engineers raised its releases from Garrison Dam to 75,000 cfs on Wednesday morning and planned to increase them to 85,000 cfs by Monday.

The amount of water going into Lake Sakakawea was 113,000 cfs Wednesday morning, according to the corps.

“These numbers are just astronomical,” Sando said.

Flood stage in Bismarck is 16 feet. The river was at 14.5 feet Wednesday morning, according to the corps.

Emergency efforts are focused on raising flood protection barriers and filling sandbags.

The North Dakota National Guard plans to have 600 Guard members active to help with filling sandbags and building up flood protection. The city of Fargo has provided a sandbagging machine known as a “spider,” capable of filling 10,000 bags in an hour. Bismarck will receive 250,000 sandbags from the city of Moorhead, Minn., by trucks.

The city and the Guard also set up another sandbagging location, calling it Sandbag Central South, where they have assembled two spider machines. Officials are urging volunteers to devote whatever time they can to help sandbag.

Mayor John Warford said that dikes and flood barriers were being built up along the river from Fox Island to the Bismarck Expressway, including between Galleon Place and Riverwood Drive; from the Pier restaurant to the expressway; at Traynor Lane and Mills Avenue and along the walking path from Neuens horse arena to Solheim Elementary.

The next step will be to build up barriers to block flooding from south of that area, Warford said..

“We’re still developing a plan for that,” he said.

Sando said the flood protection in that area could be a threat to south Bismarck despite the city’s efforts Wednesday to build it up.

“I’m really worried about it coming around south and coming back in,” he said.

Commissioners from Morton and Burleigh Counties held a briefing Wednesday afternoon, along with Gov. Jack Dalrymple and Maj. Gen. David Sprynczynatyk, the commander of the North Dakota Naitonal Guard. Burleigh officials said they had workers surveying elevations along the river and marking levels on posts for property owners to compare their building elevations. Commissioners said residents should sandbag if they think their property is threatened, but should also make plans to move valued items out of their homes to prepare for water damage or having access cut off.

“Sandbagging, I think, is Plan A,” said Commissioner Mark Armstrong. “Residents need to have a Plan B.”

He recommended that residents from Briardale to Hoge Island make plans to move their belongings.

On the Morton County side of river, officials ordered a voluntary evacuation for the Tokach Drive and Timber Haven Drive areas, said Commissioner Bruce Strinden. In Mandan, workers are building up a 2-to-4-foot dike from the Prairie West Golf Course to the Bismarck Expressway.

The flooding will continue for weeks. The corps plans to keep outflows at 85,000 cfs until at least the first week of July, Lindquist said. The amount of water moving through the Missouri’s drainage system is still growing with heavy rain upstream, including 3 inches of rain in Billings, Mont., on Tuesday.

“I do not know if or how that will impact our forecast,” Lindquistsaid.

Officials struggled Wednesday to develop maps and other information that would help residents determine what will happen in their neighborhoods. The Department of Emergency Services produced a map that would tell property owners the elevation at which they should sandbag buildings, but Sprynczynatyk was worried that it provided confusing and incomplete information on levels of flood protection. Following the 4 p.m. briefing , Sprynczynatyk, Sando and state emergency Services Director Greg Wilz agreed to meet Wednesday night to develop a better idea of where neighborhoods will be threatened and how residents should react.

“The goal is to have information available that we can disseminate to help people understand their level of protection and risk,” Sprynczynatyk said. “The message to the public is that this is someplace we’ve never been before.”
.................................................. .................................................. ....

Credits to The Bismarck Tribune.

I'm posting this as it impacts our friend, REDDOG. I messaged him this morning and received the reply that he won't be having his truck garden this year. He's in the process of sandbagging his shop.

His truck farm is located on the south side of Bismarck and on quite low land.

Garrison Dam is located north of Bismarck, almost 100 miles. It was built in the 1950's for flood control and to power a hydroelectric plant. Fort Peck Dam, in Montana is on the Missouri, it is full. Garrison is full, Oahe Dam, by Mobridge, SD is going to be filling up. This will create am impact all the way down. As you know, the Missouri empties into the Mississippi at St. Louis.
Like The Miss. needs more water.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:45 PM

rback33 is on a distinguished road
Re: REDDOG and the Mighty Missouri River.

Wow. This is crazy stuff. I have been to that dam several times in my travels up north. What a mess.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Forum King / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road

Dang. that sounds horrible. I can only imagine the devastation. Rivers are so powerful, especially the big ones like the Missouri and the Mississippi.

I hope anyone who has pictures will share them.
Best of luck with all this Red Dog. Sounds like you are in for a rough summer for sure. And you came back from Florida for this. :(

Scott me up Beamy

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Cooking Talk +++ Net Tractor Talk +++ Net Boat Talk +++ Net Music Talk
Old 05-26-2011, 07:46 PM

muleman is on a distinguished road
Style: SilverGrey

Water is being a major issue for a lot of folks this year. Wonder why they have not been releasing more all along? Maybe trying to help out the folks down south who are being spared some of the worst flooding. They have actually started closing some of the flood gates above Baton Rouge and letting it go on down the river to the gulf.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:51 PM

Trakternutz is on a distinguished road

Things have been sounding a bit more dire of late. The projected releases from Garrison Dam were 105,000 cubic feet per second. Before the weekend, they began talking 150,000 cfs. Methinks REDDOG will be in it a bit deeper than he first thought.

The city is building a dike system that should protect the city proper, though north of town, outlying developments will get pretty wet. REDDOG is south of town and, presumably, out of the protection zone. They're talking 4 feet over flood stage in the area. As flat as that part of the world is, that water will travel over a large area.

Mind you, I'm only going off of news reports, so, I may not be totally accurate. At any rate, it's not going to be a good deal.

I'm suspecting what Muleman said, that they held the releases back as long as possible in order to not add to the misery in Mississippi and Louisiana.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:47 AM

REDDOGTWO is on a distinguished road

Last Tuesday moved the equipment to the highest point on my garden land, still not wet as of today. Wednesday took apart what was together of the first cold frame I was building and moved that and the other one to where the equipment is stored, the last couple of boxes were retrieved from the water along with some of the ridge poles that were put together.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday were spent filling sand bags and placing them. There are more than 2500 of them. The front, the only part accessible by equipment was diked with clay. The sides and back are to steep for equipment, the sand bags had to be carried by hand to the sides and all around the back. My tractor got stuck on the first load of sand bags on the side, in the process of pulling it out, the tiller and top link were damaged but could not be avoided as it sunk in to the frame. Neighbors Bobcat got stuck going around the other side. Could not have done this alone, it was the main effort of friends, friends of friends, neighbors and a coupe of relatives. There is no way that I can thank these people for the efforts that the put in to help sand bag my shed.

Monday was spent pulling the furnace, intake grill and exhaust fan out of the greenhouse by the shed. A friend also finished supporting the wall in back. We loaded up one load of potted plants and moved into town after plugging plugging the septic system, turning off the LP gas and electricity. Also helped finish up the sand bagging on a commercial building that I own on the south side, it will be behind the dike that they are building but is subject to storm sewer back up in a heavy rain.

Went out today, water level the same, picked up another load of plants.

Based upon the latest information of 150,000 CFS the river level in Bismarck will be 20.6 feet, which equates into a level of 1632.83 down at the shed south of town. The additional 30,000 CFS only added another .6 to the river level as the river is being flushed by all of the additional water going through it. The floor level is at 1631 which was a foot over the required level at the time. It is sand bagged to about 1634.

Hopefully if the sand bags do not leak the shed will be saved and the effort worth it. The greenhouse will be lost but hopefully the plant stands will still be there. The equipment and cold frames laying on the ground will be wet but should survive but will need some greasing and some rust removal. The tractors and vehicles all were moved into town to a building that I own which is sand bagged so not completely out of danger.

Only time will tell the entire story and the true cost of this situation. I get the summer off but when the water goes down a lot of work will remain to get rid of 5,000 plus sand bags on the farm and in town. They will be used to supplement the slopes of the shed.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:55 AM

REDDOGTWO is on a distinguished road

Went down to the shed today for the first time in two weeks. Had my son walk ahead of the pickup going through the first sub division as could not see the road under the water which was flowing quite rapidly across. Then drove the road for another mile or more to the neighbors house, parked the pickup and unloaded the boat. Took the boat back, the son pulled it down the road as he was already wet, was over three feet deep in one spot.

The good news is that there is dry land in front of the shop. Looks like I have at least a foot and a half from the water to the shop floor. It appears that the water is at least six inches below the the elevation marker of 1630. The greenhouse has a lot more water in it. The shop had a little water in it from the rain going off of the roof behind the sand bags, nothing to be worried about as most summers there is considerable more in there from washing vegetables. Difference being it is now closed up but left a window open.

I will now be able to sleep well tonight knowing that everything is as well as it can be.

I was talking to a friend of mine on Saturday and his home north of Bismarck is lost, four feet of water in it. No flood insurance as been in the home for thirty years without a problem. He is now living at the KOA in a fifth wheeler. He will have to find something else before winter sets in. He is not alone in this as there are many others. A sad situation for all.