Net Car Stop

Welcome to the Net Car Stop forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Net Car Stop > Main Category > National Issues Forum

Old 04-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

BigAl is on a distinguished road
Your job ???

WE all gotta eat , which means most of us gotta work .
I am retired and bitch about working around the ranch building stuff.

This is mostly what I did in life
General Building Contractor
Engineering Contractor
Cabinet Maker
Solar Contractor
Building designer
Estimater
Part time state worker for Caltrans
Landlord
Teacher of Construction principals in Panama

Funeral Home owner
Car repair shop owner
Founder( with my wife) of Panama Indian children School Charity .
NYSE

What do you do ???
Old 04-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Banned

JackieBlue is on a distinguished road
Re: Your job ???

Wow Al! You did a lot.

I worked for many years for a major health insurance company as a Customer Service Supervisor. But I wanted to be home with my kids. So for awhile I worked from home for them. But then that stopped and since then I've been part-time in a dental office and a health spa doing health ins, phones, etc. But I may be able to get to work for the insurance company again from home. I have a call into them. It's really what I want because with summer coming and school being out, I won't have to worry about my kids. My daughter is old enough, but my little guy is only 11.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Banned

Galvatron is on a distinguished road

Started out working for a fire prevention company that supplied every thing from extinguishers to smoke and heat detection equipment....train operators and oil rigs were big parts of the job....

Moved on to retail management... done this for a building supply/diy chain for some years...

some years were mixed.....over seeing large site maintenance contracts.....driving long distance in haulage.....easiest was working for a large local firm overseeing that the right department had the correct allocated space for their operations...this firm is a large company involved in space exploration.

Then i dipped into the general building lark.....self employed and done it ever since....i like being my own boss and mostly doing small jobs that pay the bills...i have contracts with small local firms maintaining their premises but lots of work is for regular customers upgrading their homes like kitchen fitting and bathrooms ect......but am open minded to pay the bills.

Jack of all trades kinda sums it up.......lots i missed out to save you readers the boredom.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:47 PM

Trakternutz is on a distinguished road

I spent the better part of 18 years driving trucks. I have worked in manufacturing, some, a grain elevator for 7 years, and now, am working for our city's wastewater collection dept. as a maintenance operator. Plain and simple, the sewer department, though treatment isn't part of my job.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:41 PM

Leni is on a distinguished road

I worked as an eligibilty interviewer for unemployment insurance for about ten years and then switched over to disability insurance. Later I went into management and training new staff. Altogether I worked for California 34 years. As MexicoKaren puts it, I am now joyfully retired.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:51 PM

rback33 is on a distinguished road

Well.. I grew up working on a local farm through HS and college... then I was in pest control for a while, drove a semi.. sold insurance... got my biology degree... went back to semi driving for a short time and now I am in management of a front end loader manufacturer... been here almost 9 years now.. great company to work for....
Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 AM

REDDOGTWO is on a distinguished road

Crop spraying flagman, grocery, hotel, construction accountant for Basin, CPA firm, independent CPA, motorcycle business, bum, day trader, landlord and now gardener and still a commercial landlord.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDOGTWO View Post
Crop spraying flagman, grocery, hotel, construction accountant for Basin, CPA firm, independent CPA, motorcycle business, bum, day trader, landlord and now gardener and still a commercial landlord.
I forgot to add Bum to my list....i think we all have that stage in our lives.

The Motorcycle business interests me....tell me more when you have the time....pictures help me stay focused.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:06 AM

jwstewar is on a distinguished road

Payroll Manager originally for temp employment agency, then went to be a computer programmer for a government agency, left there to be a computer programmer for a medium sized insurancy company.

Would like to find something more fun, but don't know what that would be....
Old 04-22-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
construction accountant for Basin,
Basin Electric? How long ago did you work for them?
Old 04-22-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron View Post
I forgot to add Bum to my list....i think we all have that stage in our lives.

The Motorcycle business interests me....tell me more when you have the time....pictures help me stay focused.
Bought into a motorcycle store in 1982 that sold Harley's and BMW's. In the process we purchased another store that sold all of the Japanese lines except Honda, it also sold lawn and garden and some marine. Looking back now we were in a recessionary period here, we had a lot of repossessions. When Harley went to an allocation system based upon prior year sales our allocation was 16. When I was forced out the allocation was up to 88. Now anyone who has the dime can buy one as they are in over abundance.

We closed the second store in 1986 as there was not enough business and transferred two of the lines to the main store along with the snowmobiles. I started the HOG chapter in 1990 and redid the store in 1989 to the new designer Harley design.

In 1999 my partner in the corporation wanted out but he had 51% of the stock so he bought me out at book value and finally did some work built a new store and sold out a couple of years later and got all of the blue sky and retired a millionaire, me I still work.

I cannot say that I miss the job as you are always putting up with a bunch of BS, either from the customers, employees or the suppliers. There were a lot of good customers and I did enjoy the HOG club until it got to big, still belong but just to get the newsletter as I enjoy riding by myself. Finally got back into it last year after a ten year hiatus, have the 98 95th anniversary Ultra in Florida and a 2010 Ultra here at the farm, also a 92 Electric Glide with a double wide California sidecar.

I enjoy life much more now tending my vegetables. The hours are a little longer during the summer but winters off are nice.

Sorry no pictures on the PC to keep you focused.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakternutz View Post
Basin Electric? How long ago did you work for them?
How long ago, when you get to be this old, it was a long time ago.

The year was 1976 and I had just graduated from college and interviewed there and took their tests and at the time I had the second highest score on the math except for the head of the department, ending up interviewing with about three different people. When I was offered a job I was excited with all of the interviews and what I ended up in is plant accounting and 3.75 an hour. Drove back and forth to the plant every dad working out the closing up of the accounting end of Leland Olds #2.

One of the straws that broke the camels back was in the fall went back to the main office in Bismarck, and one of the older hands told me while doing the accounting that the nuts which are more expensive than washers went into overhead and the washers went into parts.

The other major one was that one of the guys I worked with at the plant was going down to head up Wheatland in Wyoming and he wanted me to go along down there, rather than be transferred out to some rattlesnake infested flat prairie town I got a job with a CPA firm and quit after seven months.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Bought into a motorcycle store in 1982 that sold Harley's and BMW's. In the process we purchased another store that sold all of the Japanese lines except Honda, it also sold lawn and garden and some marine. Looking back now we were in a recessionary period here, we had a lot of repossessions. When Harley went to an allocation system based upon prior year sales our allocation was 16. When I was forced out the allocation was up to 88. Now anyone who has the dime can buy one as they are in over abundance.

We closed the second store in 1986 as there was not enough business and transferred two of the lines to the main store along with the snowmobiles. I started the HOG chapter in 1990 and redid the store in 1989 to the new designer Harley design.

In 1999 my partner in the corporation wanted out but he had 51% of the stock so he bought me out at book value and finally did some work built a new store and sold out a couple of years later and got all of the blue sky and retired a millionaire, me I still work.

I cannot say that I miss the job as you are always putting up with a bunch of BS, either from the customers, employees or the suppliers. There were a lot of good customers and I did enjoy the HOG club until it got to big, still belong but just to get the newsletter as I enjoy riding by myself. Finally got back into it last year after a ten year hiatus, have the 98 95th anniversary Ultra in Florida and a 2010 Ultra here at the farm, also a 92 Electric Glide with a double wide California sidecar.

I enjoy life much more now tending my vegetables. The hours are a little longer during the summer but winters off are nice.

Sorry no pictures on the PC to keep you focused.
Thanks Red that was some serious insight.....your passion for bikes will burn to the end for sure.

And riding alone is sometimes the best....clear mind and open road i can get 100%

Thanks Red.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:38 PM

tommu56 is on a distinguished road

I took electricity and electronics in tec school

Worked in a bowling alley from 14 to 19 fixing the pinsetters and dressiing the lanes ect.

After tech school I worked for a company that made planetariums for a brief while.

I went to a company that made conveyors and did their wiring and fitting and some welding there.

I left there to go to a company that made cash registers and back office equipment for department stores I worked there 10 years dong maintenance work then they got bought and closed.

I went to work as an electrician for a printing plant hated working for the union and the union not working for me.

Ended up in another printing plant learned plc's programing and more computer stuff did all there mechanical work to supervised 4 guys there about 8 years

Went to a plant that made sealed beam headlights (see any in the cars lately? plant closed 5 years after I left) doing electrical work and programing the plc's

I went to another printing plant as doing the electrician thing and programing still there.

tom
Old 05-20-2011, 09:41 PM

Nica is on a distinguished road

About flunked outa HS. Worked in the oil fields for a couple years. Mom talked me into going to the local Junior College. Made it thru by the skin of my teeth. Transfered to a 4 yr st college. Again about flunked out. Worked in the oil fields for another year. Again my mom talked me into going to grad school. I must have woke up! Never bought a book and lived in the libaray. Made straight A's except for 1 class. Went to work in KC as a maintenance engineer. Went to work for Pepsico, and then Colgate. Retired as a engineering mgr. Found out that when you get serious you can accomplish just about anythng. Was never good at spelling, please forgive.

Nica
Old 06-01-2011, 10:00 PM

bdavis is on a distinguished road
Style: Default Style

Hey all...I haven't been here in a while.

So here's a list of all the jobs I've done right from the start. Some I did at the same time while waiting for a full time job after college.

1. Lemonade stand at age 7.
2. Newspaper route at age 10.
3. Babysitter at age 12.
4. Gas jockey at age 14.
5. Summer job cutting a nature trail at age 16.
6. Evening cook for one year at age 17.

That brings me up to the point where I graduated High School.

7. Teacher's aide in special education dept at high school.
8. Home support worker working with the handicapped.
9. Mill worker
10. Children's Services Worker(current job)

It was May in my last year of High School and I still had no clue what I wanted to do after graduation. I had previously wanted to become a chef but working in the food industry for a year killed that thought. A 2 year college course was advertised in the paper working with the mentally and physically challenged. I signed up and got accepted. A week later, a part time job in that feild came up so I applied. I worked in that job part time while I went to school full time. Once I graduated college, I waited patiently for a year for a full time posting to come up where I was working with the handicapped. During my college course, I did 2 placements in the high school as a teacher's aide in the special education department. After graduating, I applied as a substitute teacher's aide and did that 2-3 days a week while still working part time with the handicapped. I then managed to get a full time position working with the handicapped so I did that for another 6 years till I got tired of all the bitching and bellyaching the women that worked there were doing......seriously.....put 60 women working together and only 3 men....guarantied that at any given time during the month, a third of them are on their rags and who gets the blunt end of the stick when that happens....you guessed it...the male!!!

So I needed a break from that field for a bit. I applied for a job at the mill and worked there for 7 1/2 yrs till it shut down. During a layoff, I got my truck driver's license. When the mill shut down for good, any job around this area was hard to come by. A job came up in the paper looking for a Children's Services Worker working with foster children. The college course I took also qualified me for that field so I applied and got the job. I love it so far. Been there two years now.

How's that for a 34 year old?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:15 PM

Sounds like you been a busy feller! Glad you're finding your career rewarding.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:50 PM

JEV is on a distinguished road

I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate,
A poet, a pawn and a king.
I've been up and down and over and out
And I know one thing:
Each time I find myself, flat on my face,
I pick myself up and get back in the race.

Pretty much describes my 60 years on this planet with working for others and owning several businesses...some winners, some not so much. I'm in my 10th year as a general contractor (again) promoting myself as a handyman. It pays the bills and I only work about 500 hours each year. I believe that qualifies me as semi-retired, and I like it that way. The demand for my services is very high, as I have little competition. Most of the people doing the same thing are doing poor quality work, and once I follow them to fix their mistakes, I have a new customer for life. No, I don't know how to do everything, but what I do, I do exceedingly well.

You asked...
Old 06-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Forum King / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road

I've seen a few pics of your work JEV. From what I've seen I would have to agree. You do good work.

Scott me up Beamy

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Cooking Talk +++ Net Tractor Talk +++ Net Boat Talk +++ Net Music Talk
Old 06-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Site suporter

KI0HO is on a distinguished road

Grew up on a farm and ranch....spent time in the navy......made a living as an electriction .....truck driver ......and mec..ing here and there....but the smartest thing I ever did was marry my wife....whitch has provided me with a wonderful and fulfilling life!!!!...and allowed me to take part in raising 4 wonderful and delightful wemen .....whitch has neted me a buntch of grand kids....and my blessings just keep flowing each day!!!.......For the past few weeks I have spent a couple of hours each day sitting with a friend..and listening to him speak of his life....and regrets and each day I realise how wonderfuly blessed I am....
Old 06-08-2011, 03:24 PM

AAUTOFAB is on a distinguished road

All though i have spent most of my days working in the automotive field,i will literally work any job i am able so i can retire early enough to enjoy it with my wife, maybe by that time BIG AL will be selling his place
Old 06-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

muleman is on a distinguished road
Style: SilverGrey

I have worked a variety of trades over the years. Started out working on big industrial boilers as a 17 year old apprentice. At 20 I got into a machinist apprentice at AMF about the time they bought Harley Davidson and quit making snowmobiles. After several layoffs and freshly married I went to work for a major defense contractor machining tracked vehicles(tanks). Did that for 18 years and had moved up to Cad/Cam design and N/C programming after 10 years as a machinist setup man. Left there for a good offer to setup a cnc machining department for Dentsply Intl. They paid me very well and I still enjoy a nice stock portfolio from them. Left there and did some heavy equipment operating for a few years installing a sewer system in several local towns. Then got back into boiler and burner work till I moved to the mountains of Pa. I worked installing the wheel assemblies and air brake systems under subway cars till my medical problems forced me into early retirement. Now I work for the wife full time and myself a little bit!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

BigAl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleman View Post
I have worked a variety of trades over the years. Started out working on big industrial boilers as a 17 year old apprentice. At 20 I got into a machinist apprentice at AMF about the time they bought Harley Davidson and quit making snowmobiles. After several layoffs and freshly married I went to work for a major defense contractor machining tracked vehicles(tanks). Did that for 18 years and had moved up to Cad/Cam design and N/C programming after 10 years as a machinist setup man. Left there for a good offer to setup a cnc machining department for Dentsply Intl. They paid me very well and I still enjoy a nice stock portfolio from them. Left there and did some heavy equipment operating for a few years installing a sewer system in several local towns. Then got back into boiler and burner work till I moved to the mountains of Pa. I worked installing the wheel assemblies and air brake systems under subway cars till my medical problems forced me into early retirement. Now I work for the wife full time and myself a little bit!
Wow Bill !!!! I admire all the things you have done at your jobs . I still love to learn and am always up to a new challenge . There is no such words as " I can't do it " in my book .
Old 06-29-2015, 03:27 PM
Forum King / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleman View Post
Very interesting Muley. Damn. You've done so much. Very impressive.

Scott me up Beamy

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Cooking Talk +++ Net Tractor Talk +++ Net Boat Talk +++ Net Music Talk