Net Car Stop

Welcome to the Net Car Stop forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Net Car Stop > Main Category > Car Forum

Old 03-18-2013, 07:26 PM

jwstewar is on a distinguished road
Do you change your cabin air filter?

I had never changed any of the air cabin filters in my vehicles until recently. Last fall I changed the one in my Chevy Silverado at 13 years and 120k miles. When I took it out it was disgusting. It was black (was originally white) and had quite a bit of stuff in it. Thought it was bad, but change the one in our Accord on Saturday as I did all 4 brakes and a tune-up to it. Man was that ever disgusting. The car is a 2000 and will turn over 200k miles this week. It was to the point it was stinking in it. The kids kept saying it was from me farting in in. Well when I took that filter out, my stomach started turning. It was absolutely gross. It was even blacker than the one from the truck, full of bugs and leaves and it even had some mold and mildew on it. Once I pulled the filter out I had to take a shop vac and suck the space out. That didn't get it all and I had to take the air hose and blow the crap out - so then it went all over the car and I had to vacuum the whole front of the car because it had crap everywhere. When we got in the car yesterday to go to the 4-H meeting, the smell was almost gone from the car.

So do you change your cabin filter? And if so, how often? After reading this, I bet you do now.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

OhioTC18 is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you change your cabin air filter?

I have no idea where mine might be in a 2003 F150
Old 03-18-2013, 10:54 PM

jwstewar is on a distinguished road

Looks like it was an option for those years on Ford Jerry. Looks like most don't have it, but if you did, it would be right under the glove box. I was surprised our Honda had one, as it seems Honda is slow on adding things like that. I knew the Silverado did as GM made a big deal out of promoting it that year - well if you were researching to buy and read everything available they made a big deal out of it.

Btw, the new filters allowed much better air flow on both vehicles.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:23 PM

muleman is on a distinguished road
Style: SilverGrey

I clean the one in the Prius and had to replace the one in the old Prius after a mouse took up residence in it for the winter and ate and pissed on it. First time I turned the heat on after it sitting over 3 months I about barfed. Don't think my old 98 Silverado has one.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Forum King / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road

I guess my Silverado has one ....I didn't realize that. Is it under the glove box on the Chevy too?

Scott me up Beamy

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Cooking Talk +++ Net Tractor Talk +++ Net Boat Talk +++ Net Music Talk
Old 05-08-2013, 09:23 PM

Just started driving the Prius after it sat most of the winter and apparently a little critter has been in there again. If my shoulder ain't hurting too bad when I get back from the doc's tomorrow I will pull the glove box and clean or replace it.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:44 AM

Ended up getting a new filter from Toyota as the mouse had been very busy over the winter. He had removed a bunch of the tassels from an old blanket we keep on the back seat for the dogs to lay on and hauled them up in the air duct box above the filter. It was bigger than 2 fist full of stuff as well as using the filter for a urinal. Smells better now and moves a ton more air.