Net Car Stop

Welcome to the Net Car Stop forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Net Car Stop > Main Category > Truck Forum

Old 02-02-2011, 04:37 PM

rback33 is on a distinguished road
5.3 Liter GM Thermostat

Any one have any issues with these? I just bought an 04 Z71 with the 5.3 liter. LOVE the pickup, but since it got colder a month ago it makes a funny tick when it starts cold. It goes away when it warms up though. To go with that it can run all day and not blow any warm air. Gauge comes up to operating temp, but it just blows cold air. BUT... if I drive it a couple miles... it starts to blow warm air and all is well... This was all fun and well until I took it out on it's 3 mile drive to warm up and made it more like 8 miles and rather than warming up, the gauge kept climbing until it over heated. Since it was 3 degrees I stopped and it cooled right down and I took off again.., then the temp came right back to normal... I think everything points to the thermostat, except the ticking noise when cold... our plant maintenance guy says that could be the thermostat too... at any rate I am still under my 60 day warranty and am taking it to the dealership tonight to have it checked out.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:31 PM

Trakternutz is on a distinguished road
Re: 5.3 Liter GM Thermostat

The ticking could be a lifter that's not pumping up right away. Try dumping a half quart of tranny fluid in your oil and see if that helps. Barring that, you might find a conditioner off the shelf that may revive the O-rings in the lifters, giving you a bit more life.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

bczoom is on a distinguished road

[rant on]
It's a F'ing GMC. Get used to the engine running right but the friggin' electronics messing with you.
EVERY, and I mean EVERY failure (except the perpetual brake issue) on my '05 GMC is related to their friggin sensors. Assholes for even developing this computer run engine.
[/rant off]
Old 02-03-2011, 12:37 AM

REDDOGTWO is on a distinguished road

No problem with the 05, other than sometimes the engine seems kind of loud, has done it since day one, some days more quiet other days louder.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:52 AM

muleman is on a distinguished road
Style: SilverGrey

The ticking could be an exhaust leak. The cooling issue sounds like it is low on fluid.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleman View Post
The ticking could be an exhaust leak. The cooling issue sounds like it is low on fluid.
Another thought; Could be the seal on the water pump is going bad. It'll suck air in by the shaft and lose prime, the reprime and pump. Rinse and repeat.
Look on the bottom of the pump, where the shaft comes out, and see if you have any antifreeze dripping out. If the seal's bad, it'll drip from a weep hole underneath. Might not be enough to drip on the ground or a cross member, but enough to be noticeable.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:19 AM

OK... the ticking is a normal GM thing... it's a tolerance thing that goes away when the engine gets to operating temps. It's all over the net and nothing to fret about. It IS an air problem as Monte was getting at. It seems they flushed the system before I bought it and there is a bubble in there. It has just taken this long for it to move to a place that caused me grief. I left it at the dealership last night and will be picking it up today. My pickup was nice to me and froze me out the whole way there almost and then recreated the problem for the service manager so he could tell exactly what it was. Funny how I miss my pickup and I have not even been without it for 24 hours yet...
Old 02-12-2011, 09:26 AM

jwstewar is on a distinguished road

Glad you have the hot/cold problem solved. These really are great trucks. I've got a '99 that I bought new and Mom has Dad's 2000. No real problems with either one of them. We also have the '08 Suburban that hasn't been in the shop for anything other than when the house took a power surge and fried the computer in it.

As far as the tick sound. Search it, it is all over the net. It is called Piston Slap. Sounds bad, but it really isn't a problem and doesn't hurt a thing. My truck as done it almost since new. The 'burb does, but it isn't as noticable as the truck, though it has less than 16k on the odometer.

Enjoy your truck.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rback33 View Post
OK... the ticking is a normal GM thing... it's a tolerance thing that goes away when the engine gets to operating temps. It's all over the net and nothing to fret about. It IS an air problem as Monte was getting at. It seems they flushed the system before I bought it and there is a bubble in there. It has just taken this long for it to move to a place that caused me grief. I left it at the dealership last night and will be picking it up today. My pickup was nice to me and froze me out the whole way there almost and then recreated the problem for the service manager so he could tell exactly what it was. Funny how I miss my pickup and I have not even been without it for 24 hours yet...
Pickups do that to a feller.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:47 AM

Thanks Jim! That's what they told me and now that the air bubble is gone, the piston slap goes away MUCH faster. LOVE this pickup! I am SOOO glad I bought it.