Net Car Stop

Welcome to the Net Car Stop forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Net Car Stop > Main Category > Truck Forum

Old 01-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Forum King / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5

I'm truck shopping. Going to look at a
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 tomorrow.

4WD CrewMax 145.7 5.7L SR5 5.7L 8

It shortens the bed to have 4 doors .. but the crew cab sure came in handy on the Ford 350 Dually I used to have. So, I'm going to check it out. This one only has 16k miles. It ws on the dealerships lease program. Newer than I intended but it's priced right.

More after I drive it tomorrow.
Any Tundra gotchas to watch out for?

Scott me up Beamy

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Cooking Talk +++ Net Tractor Talk +++ Net Boat Talk +++ Net Music Talk
Old 01-10-2009, 09:59 AM

Rusty Shackleford is on a distinguished road
Re: 2007 Toyota Tundra SR5

i like the tundras, i dont know of any problematic issues with them tho
Old 01-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

OhioTC18 is on a distinguished road

That is a fine truck Doc. I don't know of any issues with them.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Forum King / Admin

I think the biggest change was between the 2006 / 2007 models. Lots of power in that 5.7 ...close to 400 hp.

Scott me up Beamy

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Cooking Talk +++ Net Tractor Talk +++ Net Boat Talk +++ Net Music Talk
Old 02-15-2009, 10:16 PM

BoneheadNW is on a distinguished road

So Doc, what happened with the Tundra? Did you end up buying anything?
Bone
Old 02-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

He always keeps us in the dark
Old 02-15-2009, 11:22 PM
Forum King / Admin

Are you saying you feel like a mushroom Jerry?

Last weekend I found a 2004 Chevy 2500 gaser, crew cab short bed, 4x4. Worked for me. It had 48k miles on it. Very nice looking truck. Then I saw the carfax report. It had been wrecked. Described as minor front end damage. Hit a fence. new Grill, bumper and a few other parts. It had been titled in 6 states. From Delaware, to Jersey, to Maryland to Texas to Florida and I looked at it on the lot at a WV dealership. And I'd title it in Ohio.
Then I found a 2007 Tundra, double cab, 4x4, 5.7 engine w/ 19k miles. A local guy was trading it on a dump truck. He had medical issues last week that put off that deal. I heard yesterday that the deal is back on, if the deal goes through I get first shot at the Tundra. If it's priced like I was told it would be a sweet deal.
I'll find out more mid week.

Scott me up Beamy

Other Fun Forums:
Old 02-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

Might have been a good thing to pass on that Chevy. That carfax report sounds nasty.

The Toyota sounds good though.

Me a mushroom? Nah.........(turning on the lights and wiping that nasty taste out of my mouth) Not me
Old 02-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Forum King / Admin

Yep, I agree. The Tundra is more expensive but it has less than 1/2 the milage and more horsepower .. plus it's 3 years newer.
I'm hoping it drives out like I expect it to. My wife was hoping for heated seats like our car has ... but the Tundra does not have that feature. The Tundra does have dual heat controls though so she can have it roasting on her side of the cab. I'm still not so sure that is a desireable add on for me.

Scott me up Beamy

Other Fun Forums:
Old 02-16-2009, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

The heat migrates to the other side eventually.

You'll just have to keep the little lady's "seat" warm :TONGUE:
Old 02-16-2009, 10:57 AM

BoneheadNW is on a distinguished road

Speaking of Tundra, does anyone know if Toyota plans to bring any diesel trucks to the U.S.? I believe that they sell many over in Japan.
Bone
Old 02-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Toyota announced in 2007 that they were looking into that market.

Toyota is looking into putting diesel engines in the Tundra, executives said Monday.
"In terms of (diesel) introduction into the U.S., the Tundra is the best (vehicle) to do that," Executive Vice President Kazuo Okamoto said. "The question is when is the best time to do that? That is determined by the customer."
Toyota sells vehicles powered by diesel engines in Europe and has diesels in its heavy-duty vehicles.
But putting a diesel engine in the truck would be expensive and U.S. regulations on diesel emissions continue to change, Lentz said.
"It's something we're looking at," he said. "But we have to see if we can price a diesel and still make it affordable."
Old 02-16-2009, 12:34 PM

jwstewar is on a distinguished road

Could be interesting, I've also heard rumors (don't have time to look for where I read it now) that they are disappointed in Tundra sales and are considering pulling out of the full size market.

The only two things I've heard about the Toys are the interior features being to small to work with gloves and they break easily and then rear frame is weak. On a washed out road you can actually shake the bed hard enough to smake the back of the cab and then I've also heard the rear frame breaking from towing a bumper style trailer. I've seen the cab thing on Youtube also saw one that it happened to in person - though not as bad as the one on youtube. Haven't personally seen any of the broken hitches, but have read about a few on the RV sites.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Forum King / Admin

I'll have to do some checking on that stuff. Interesting.

Scott me up Beamy

Other Fun Forums:
Old 02-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Some youTube clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx53MjiykiE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNgHHtvzmu4
Old 02-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

This seems to be a Ford video, but it is interesting to see the reaction of all the different trucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjTbiYo3x0
Old 02-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

bczoom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioTC18 View Post
I have to question these videos. That truck appears to have a tire problem, not suspension. The hop was consistent the entire 5 minutes. No road is like that. Also the hops appeared to be based on the distance of the revolution of a tire. Expansion joints on concrete roads aren't that close together. I think it was at about 3:25 in the first video (where she shot out the back window) but notice the drivers side had very little or no bounce but the rear passenger side was hopping all over.

I'm guessing they had a bubble and/or broken belts on at least the right rear tire.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

I thought tire problem as well.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Forum King / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneheadNW View Post
Speaking of Tundra, does anyone know if Toyota plans to bring any diesel trucks to the U.S.? I believe that they sell many over in Japan.
Bone
I found this on the diesel Tundra in my search for detail info on the shaking tailgate issue.

Tundra diesel expected in 2009.
http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...ikely-in-2009/

Here is part of the article. Click the link for entire article.

Isuzu and Toyota made a recent announcement about a diesel they’re developing that shines some light on their development of a diesel Toyota Tundra.
GOOD NEWS: While not specifically having anything to do with the Tundra, Toyota’s recent announcement (see link below) contains some enlightening information. The press release indicates that Toyota and Isuzu can recuperate diesel development costs even if the diesel engine they’ve developed only sells 20k units per year. If Toyota can recover their R&D costs on on such a small number of engines, the sales volume needed to justify producing a diesel variant of the Tundra is probably lower than we estimated in our last discussion of a Diesel Toyota Tundra.
If we conservatively assume that Toyota will need to sell 40k diesel engines per year to cover R&D costs, Toyota only needs to boost Tundra sales by 20% to reach their “break-even” point. In 2006, Dodge sold 150k diesels, GM 200k, and Ford about 320k diesel powered pickups. Granted, some of those vehicles were “fleet” heavy duty offerings that Toyota may not compete with, but if Toyota only reaches 10% diesel market share, they’ll more than break-even on their diesel development costs.
Is this an indicator that Toyota is producing a Diesel Tundra? We think so — Toyota continues to demonstrate interest and investment in the diesel market, and the pending passage of new CAFE regulations requiring better fuel economy encourage Toyota to put more emphasis on diesel technology. Considering that Toyota Vice President Kazuo Okamoto has stated the Tundra is going to be Toyota’s first U.S. diesel, consider this another sign that a Diesel Tundra is coming ASAP.
Why do you think the Diesel Tundra will debut in 2009? The industry consensus is that engine development takes 2 - 3 years. Toyota announced a partnership with Isuzu to develop diesel engines in June of this year, the idea being that Toyota would be able to bring diesel variants to market faster with Isuzu’s help. If R&D for a diesel Tundra began immediately after the partnership with Isuzu was solidified, (which is easy to imagine based on the Tundra’s sales performance this year) that would mean that the Tundra diesel engine will be ready for production in 2009 or 2010. We believe that Toyota will most likely assemble the new Tundra diesel engine from components already available, making 2 years a likely time frame.

Scott me up Beamy

Other Fun Forums: